• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

hole saws and coping tubes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
We spent yesterday cutting and coping tubing for a fuesl*ge side. I was using a Harbor Freight tubing notcher on 7/8" tubes while my partner used the mini-lathe on 5/8 and 3/4" tubes. I had the same problem with the HF notcher as Scottly and ended up shimming the tubes in the holder. Not sure which way was faster but hers came out much tighter with no filing at the end. She put a 7/8 or 3/4" ream in the chuck and fed the tubing into it using a holder I made from 1 1/2" aluminum block.

I have still not found the best hole saws for this job. I once found some British fine tooth hole saws but it took months to receive them and in the end I was stiffed for a few of them. Has anyone tried these Remgrit hole saws from J&L Industrial http://www.jlindustrial.com/GSW-06002H/SEARCH:KEYWORD/product.html#

or these Rotacut hole saws from Avery Tools- http://www.averytools.com/p-757-rotacut-sheet-metal-hole-cutter--large-sizes.aspx

Or, does someone have a good source for fine tooth hole saws that are actually in stock on shelves somewhere?

cheers,
Jim

Latest posts

Back