• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Horizontal Stabilizer Ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandersen

Reaction score

I spent the day tuning up my HF throatless shear and a homemade bending brake.

The pictures are of the two best test coupons after a bit of practice.

You can see what they should look like from "Section 9" on the drawing. The test coupons all have a width of 1/2" and:
- straight 7/8"
- tapered from 7/8" down to 3/8"

I believe I can repeatably and accurately produce these parts. These are representative of the 36 various ribs I need to make.

The Steen Builder manual indicates these can be build out of 0.025" 4130, instead of the specified 0.035" 1025.

My question is bending parallel vs perpendicular to the grain on the 4130 sheets. My sheets are 36" x 18" with the grain going the long direction. Some of the ribs are over 24" long. With the thin 4130 material, and the generous bend radius I'm using, can I utilize my stock by bending parallel with the grain? Any disadvantage or problems I could run into?

Thanks,

Ward

20120226_215046_Horiz&

20120226_215554_Horiz&

Edited by: wandersen

Latest posts

Back