• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hose Connections for Aluminum Breather Line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed T

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hooking up the breather line in my Skybolt build. The line is 3/4" OD 6061-T6 .035 made up in three sections running from back side of the firewall out the back end past the tail wheel. Several small bends, all less than 7 degrees. were easily made with a 1/2" conduit bender. Total length is about 14' and I have made four connections with rubber (EPDM) coolant hose from the auto parts store.
IMG_0879.JPG

A friend stopped by recently and suggested these sections of hose should be oil resistant. He reinforced his point by relating a story about another friend who blew a prop seal when his breather line stopped breathing because oil attacked the rubber hose.

Can any prior builders with several years of flight time on their biplane comment on how coolant hose holds up to the oil mist that passes through the breather line. I have found straight sections of Nitrile (also called Buna-N and NBR) rubber that is suitable for use with fuel and oil. I have not found a supplier that offers molded 90 degree nitrile hose. If necessary, it will be far easier to make the change now instead of after the fabric is applied. As always, I'd appreciate any advice from the membership of this great forum, Thanks--Ed

Latest posts

Back