• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Innertube woes epidemic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My friend, Harvey, emailed me yesterday:
"Yet another incident attributable to what I consider to be outrageously poor quality innertubes being sold to the aviation community. Every single wheel on every one of my aircraft has experienced a spontaneous flat either during flight or minutes afterwards. Some more than once. Numerous other owners have had similar experiences. One happened upon landing right after having new tires and tubes installed on his airplane. Based on the number of times this is happening on our little field, there must be thousands nationwide. The tubes I've seen have had either a pin hole or a short split in the tube.
This time, with no warning, the nose tire on my Aztec was flat upon touchdown after a 15 minute local flight. The wheel rim was damaged during the ensuing recovery operation, so now I need replacement tire, tube, AND wheel.
During the first 50 years of my flying career, I never saw an aircraft flat tire except through extreme abuse or by running the tire down through the cord. Over the last few years they are epidemic!"

Are you noticing more flat tires on the ramp than usual, or is Harvey the lucky one?

Latest posts

Back