• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Insurance Salvage Auctions

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I think that was a training plane for Asiatic Airline.

Reaction score
I have watched the AIG site for a long time. I bid really high on a Super Cub not long ago and found out it went 4 grand higher than I bid. It's crazy what some people will pay for salvage. Almost better off buying a flying airplane that needs a lot of love.

D.grimm

Registered Users
Reaction score
I bought my Vagabond from AIG. Excellent to work with.
The FBO where it was based had his eye on it and way overestimated
The damage. It was exactly what I wanted and got the airplane.
The FBO was really ticked and made up a bunch of bulls**t
Charges before it could be retrieved.
Many, many issues to be aware of before you bid.
Mine worked OK in the end, but it wasn't any kind of deal either.
Dave

michialt

Reaction score
Looking over the planes that they have listed makes me glad that I didn't take up crop dusting. Three of the open ads are Crop Dusters...

I bought my Vagabond from AIG. Excellent to work with.
The FBO where it was based had his eye on it and way overestimated
The damage. It was exactly what I wanted and got the airplane.
The FBO was really ticked and made up a bunch of bulls**t
Charges before it could be retrieved.
Many, many issues to be aware of before you bid.
Mine worked OK in the end, but it wasn't any kind of deal either.
Dave

cashflyer

Reaction score
S1-S in TN, current up for salvage auction.
It's going to need a lot of work, and at least one wing.

Details:
http://www.aviationls.com/en/sitecore/content/Salvage_Repository/N4714H_Pitts_S1-S.aspx

Brief Facts:
07/14/2016 - After landing the aircraft departed the runway causing the left main gear leg to break.

General Description of Damage:
The left lower wing has front and rear spar cracks, left lower aileron damaged, left and right main wheel pants are cracked, left gear strut is broken, sheet metal belly pan is bent, right lower wing bow has an abrasions/tear in the fabric, pitot tube is bent, composite/fiberglass spinner is crushed, spinner bulkhead is bent, composite propeller shows signs of ground contact.

N4714H.jpg

Last edited:

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Poor blue dragon...ah **** happens it can be repaired

cashflyer

Reaction score
I don't have the experience necessary to tell which tube landing gear that is... Is it RV, or something else?

Anyway, I thought it was worth noting that the NTSB suspects a landing gear failure and retained parts for examination. If you check out the photos, there is a photo of the fractured part.

[From NTSB# ERA16LA260]
The pilot reported that after a normal three-point landing in a calm wind, the airplane began swerving as it slowed. The airplane then departed the right side of the runway and ground-looped, which resulted in substantial damage to the lower left wing.

Examination of the wreckage by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that the left landing gear leg had separated and exhibited corrosion. The left landing gear leg was retained for further examination.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That was my first airplane, which I flew on September 29, 1984. The landing gear was my own design, adapted from Tailwind drawings. The left gear leg got bent a couple of years ago, so I sent my drawing to the then-owner, who had a new gear leg made up. I don't know if he used the material I specified (6150 steel), or if he had it heat treated properly, but it failed during a takeoff, and broke just above the lower bend. I could supply info to anyone who wanted to make another gear leg. I put in a bid on it myself, but was really hoping Rick or Chris would buy it back and fix it up. The bid closes today. It really was a wonderful flyer.

Danny

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKMiTy_OT4[/ame]

Latest posts