• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Leaf spring source or rod spring options for api tailwheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tectweaker

Reaction score
I had made up my mind to change my tailwheel from locking to steerable.

However, trying to figure out the simplest way to convert.

My current rod stinger does not have enough clearance between the spring and rudder horn. Are there any creative ways to do it that will allow me to do it? Drilling the haigh and mounting the rod type api tailwheel would be the simplest option.

I am thinking that there are two practical options.

Go to leaf spring - the hole is fuesalage is 3/8. I called aviat and it seems like they only have a 7/16 option in stock right now - any body knows the source for the leaf springs or have one set for sale? This will naturally start the bend early and give me more options. If I can’t find a 3/8 hole in fuselage that perhaps use a bushing for the whole to run a 3/8 bolt? There is a Taylor craft leaf spring option with 3/8 holes on either side - will that work for pitts. Aircraft spruce part number 06-14300.

Buy another rod and get it bent at an angle that starts a little early at the clamp which will give me more clearance.

Buy a setup with rod? Perhaps somebody is switching their setup to leaf spring?

Thoughts are welcome. And if somebody has a leaf spring set and/ rudder horn for a 3/4 horn that will be great also.

Attachments

• 779786AD-DACB-4F77-8B8D-29FE9F7B1BF5.jpeg
    779786AD-DACB-4F77-8B8D-29FE9F7B1BF5.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back