Live and Learn! (Shipping from Aviat)

Discussion in 'Pitts' started by Eric_Anderson, Feb 8, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 8, 2018 #1

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I’m not complaining. You should never just give your credit card to someone and hope that the charges will be what you expect them to be. And that is precisely what I did when I ordered a nosebowl from Janette over at Aviat. The bowl itself was reasonable, $297. She told be to allow for a three week turnaround and I would be billed once it shipped. The part is pretty big but its also light so I figured somewhere around $50-70. Got the invoice just now, $208.21! I don’t even need the part. I bought it as a backup because I was not satisfied that my repair would hold up over the long term.

Ouch!

2. Feb 8, 2018 #2

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Eric, it is my understanding that UPS, and also Fedex raised their prices after Christmas, almost doubling them, as I share your pain! Shipped my bungee tools back east in Nov, about $ 25.00 bucks , shipped them again in Jan and it was $ 40.00. Dave

Eric_Anderson likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2018 #3

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

It's ok they know u are a airline pilot and have tons of money.
    The fact that I order parts from Aviat proves it
    Danny 007

4. Feb 8, 2018 #4

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder - 176% completed

They’re not just passing through the cost of the shipping... they’re marking it up.

5. Feb 8, 2018 #5

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ouch! FWIW, here is Wichita I was able to save ~$150 on shipping of a canopy by ordering through the local Air Parts office. It was a lot more convenient to me as well.

6. Feb 8, 2018 #6

garyg

garyg

garyg

Nov 24th or so, I ordered a backup bowl from ACS, they charged me 80 dollars for Atlanta to CR, Iowa along with other items. I just pretended to order another bowl and ACS is saying 55.

201 sounds really excessive. maybe shipping has turned into a profit center?

7. Feb 8, 2018 #7

Randy

Randy

Randy

When I see exorbitant shipping charges I go to the local UPS pickup station and find out what it would cost me to send the same pkg. back. Makes a very good point to argue.
    I have had several shipping charges reduced, sometimes by as much as half, and once eliminated all together because of my protest. Sometimes it pays to try :)
    Also, I was told at this same UPS station that the rise in shipping costs was for the Holidays only because of the extreme volume.? ?

8. Feb 8, 2018 #8

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

Sounds like UPS is learning from Uber about peak demand pricing.

Sorry to hear,

Wes

9. Feb 8, 2018 #9

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

I called UPS and they estimated $40 based on weight alone. I then ballparked a dimension of 3 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet at 20 pounds and was quoted $310. So who knows? Until I get the box and measure it I really can’t complain to Aviat. I did call Jeanette to get the dims but she was clueless. I imagine Husky customers don’t question shipping costs so it’s not a question Aviat is normally prepared to answer.

10. Feb 8, 2018 #10

garyg

garyg

garyg

I would think more like 2 by 2 by 3(+). bowl stuck in at an angle.

this what acs says:
    35" wide x 21" high. Center opening 9-1/4" dia. so it meets the definition of being longer than it is wide.

Eric_Anderson likes this.
  11. Feb 9, 2018 #11

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Yet by some magic shipping is free on some sites like amazon (on some things) and free on orders above “X” amount from a number of places. I bought a set of headlights for my 1997 2dr Tahoe and the box they all came in was about 36”x 18”x12” and with the lights inside...packed all in separate boxes and padding and bubble wrap etc the total was $63 off amazon. I couldn’t have bought the dang boxes and padding for that from fedex or ups. Shipping is a huge scam. They price gouge the heck out of the little guy so they can offer reduced rates and freebies for the big guys. I use to get shipping labels printed off from my ex’s work and I just paid the cost. I knew it saved me money but I was blown alway when I no longer got to use a big company account to buy my labels.

12. Feb 9, 2018 #12

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Last fall I shipped a set of those light weight but huge Madras Piper fiberglass wing tips from IN to OR for 200 dollars through Fastenal. My total weight was 40 pounds. The crate I built from plywood was most of the weight. The crate was 70"x18"x18". I've used Fastenal several times for shipments like this. I shipped a motorcycle engine to Maine for 95 bucks. You have to crate or package your shipments on a professional level but they are great to work with. I think of them first on bulk shipments. Good thing about Fastenal is they have stores everywhere.

13. Feb 9, 2018 #13

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

I agree that shipping has become a profit center for large companies. It's also a huge ripoff to Joe Average who wants to ship something. I bought a set of SkyBolt ply leading edges from Chicago last year. Quotes on the freight between Chicago and Fargo ranged from 400+ to 38 bucks. In the end the 38 buck people had a minimum charge based on length so it cost 58 bucks. I was thrilled to pay the extra 20.

Buyer beware like everything else

14. Feb 9, 2018 #14

Neil

Neil

Neil

Recently ordered some yardage of 50" glass cloth from ACS. Also needed 48" of 3/4" CM tubing and requested that the tube be placed inside the roll of cloth to save shipping. They insisted that the 48" of tubing was too long to fit in the 50" cloth roll and it had to be shipped separately. No amount of explanation could exceed the stupidity and shipping cost way more than the tubing for just the tube.:eek::mad:

15. Feb 9, 2018 #15

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

that's fantastic.

16. Feb 9, 2018 #16

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

You should call Jannette and tell her that you are upset. The Avionics company I use will always order things Next Day Air even if you are not AOG and don’t need it anytime soon. They don’t care since they just pass the cost on to you. I asked them why they do this and their reason was lame. I told them to knock it off or I will find another company.

Larry Lyons likes this.
  17. Feb 11, 2018 #17

Skippy

Skippy

Skippy

Registered Users

I had to ship my Catto prop from Fl back to the factory, initially they said they can't ship it, despite it being in a reused box with a shipping label from Tampa back to Catto from when a buddy shipped his from that exact FEDEX location. Once we got that sorted out they wanted $750 to ship it.

18. Feb 13, 2018 #18

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

The box arrived. It was packaged larger than necessary by a few inches. Nothing rediculous. I entered the dims into UPS.com. The price Aviat quoted was nuts on.

19. Feb 13, 2018 #19

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

I have tried to send stuff with United Parcel Service a couple of times.
    Very expensive, I understand the "local UPS store" is a franchise or licensed to UPS. They get their mark up before UPS does.

Price the cardboard boxes as compared to getting one from UHaul!
    I mentioned this to my local UPS delivery guy and he agreed it's a scandal.

I now use the regular United States Postal Service.
    I tried sending a little memory stick to my brother in Thailand, with UPS = no way!
    I sent it USPS = reasonable cost.
    I keep well away from UPS Stores.

But probably sending a propeller with USPS is not possible because of the bulk?

20. Feb 13, 2018 #20

race38

race38

race38

Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve had success using bus freight on large items. Shipped a cowl from Memphis with no issues or damage. Not delivered to the door but a lot cheaper than truck freight. Use USPS for smaller. Recently shipped a spinner by USPS for less than $10