• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Looking for parashute for a big guy

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
What are you flying? That's an important question.

If you are really tall and/or really heavy, you might have to call Butler. They make the ruggest rigs out there bar none. But they charge $$ for that. (But what is your life worth?) If you are not really really really either way big or tall, then you might call Strong and ask about their largest canopy in a warbird rig.

Sun-N-Fun is this week. You can get the show special pricing on new rigs even if you do not go to the show.

Best of luck,

Wes

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
A Strong 303 contains a parachute rated for 254lbs. How heavy are we talking about?

I fly with a Strong rig, but I am 175 lbs....

best of luck,

Wes

SSkybolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have Butler seat packs, one standard and one for big guys. What type is needed?

Phil

SSkybolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Backpack or seat pack? My Butlers are warbird style.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I suggest that you have to have a Butler rig. Specifically you want the HX-500 canopy with the Sombrero slider. Go to the Butler web site and read up on their HX drop testing. Essentially this is the only pilot emergency parachute that will handle a heavy pilot.

280 exceeds the published limits for Strong, National, and Softie.

Some folks on this thread have indicated that they have a Butler rig. They likely have the HX-300 of -400 canopies in them, not the -500. Please look at the Butler sizing chart on their web site.

Make sure that your parachute rigger has instructions for the butler HX parachute. Packing is different than any other rig out there and make sure that your local parachute rigger takes time to read the instructions. Not hard to do, just different.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been speaking to Tom at Butler and he thinks i should get the lopo450 instead since the HX500 won't fit me In the Skybolt. And the lopo has a slower descent rate than the hx400

bdalporto

Reaction score
I'm need a parashute for a big guy also. What is Butler quoting for their set up.

Brian

Latest posts