• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

MA4SPA Carb. Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, it didn't seem to be broke but now I don't know?

Finished the annual on my Tu-holer and while it was apart I decided to weld a bracket to hold the end of the Throttle cable in the front pit Like I had made for the Acroduster. Throttle was working fine and as I did the inspection I found it was fully closing and opening but I wasn't happy with the clamps I had holding the cable end.

As I continued to work on it checking travel It started being very hard to open....... I spent all day on this thing.... I did weld on the new bracket and figured it would be the fix but it wasn't.

I found that it was the accelerator pump that was causing the issue. After the throttle is cycled a couple times the pump seems to "load up" and it is VERY hard to push the throttle to full open. Is this normal? If so, it seems I don't understand how this thing works?

Again, it was working fine. The carb was working fine on this engine in my EAA bipe but I had it rebuilt with new float when I put it on the Spezio. It now has 55 hours on it since rebuild.

Again, if I push the throttle slowly it will open but the accelerator pump gives high resistance toward the end of travel.

Don't know if it's broke or not? I have not run it I wanted to "run" it by you guys before I put the cowl back on.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back