• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Mentors & Mortality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
First of all as a mentor, and my reason for posting this is, I would like to offer my services to other aspiring biplane pilots in that if you are building and have never flown one or would just like to get some current stick time I would be willing to fly with you. Those in Oregon or Washingtion would of course be more convenient, but it does not matter where you live!

If you want some basic air work, hands on slow flight steep turns stalls pattern work, and of course take off and landings three point wheel and power off message me. I am not a flight instructor, nor do I claim to be one. But have a lot of real world experience and only wish to pass it on as my days as an active pilot and my own mortality do not seem all that far away in these uncertain times!

As for mentors I would like to give credit to or thank, so many. There is not enough space to do so! But just a few, Bill Clark Jim Patterson and my old flight instructor Jane Lamar a WW II Wasp, Lou Stolp Morgan "Bud" Schrack Bob Herendeen and Cliff Lamb all people that have helped shape and influence my aviation career both as a pilot and also a builder, many of course are no longer with us!

As for mortality, I never thought I would live to be 72 yrs old, after 4 yrs in the Marine Corps and 25 yrs on the fire dept but I did. Nor did I think I would even be a pilot, much less build an own an airplane like the Starduster Too! I have in this airplane alone, over 2500 hrs and am still in one piece! I have also given numerous rides mostly to older eagles, my youngest passenger was 6 yrs old and my oldest was 91! Last night I made 4 successful landings at night to stay current!

I would also like to thank all that have crossed my path over the years for their hospitality and friendship, as I have stayed in peoples homes and used their cars and have been fed incredible meals by those I hardly know or had never met before. This has been the most rewarding part of aviation home building and of course my association with this wonderful world of bi planes, especially the Starduster Too! Dave

Latest posts

Back