• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

misfire at idle IO-360

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying High

Reaction score
I've had some ongoing problems with my fuel servo so I finally sent it in and had the whole thing gone over with a fine tooth comb. The servo setup was rich and it was adjusted and a few seals replaced by a very reputable workshop in the USA. I put it back on the aeroplane and now I can't get the darn thing to idle without misfiring and popping, in-fact it misfires anything below 1200RPM and hesitates and puffs black smoke on power application. Above that its smooth as and runs fine.

Also as I lean it out to check the idle shutdown RPM rise, I get 200rpm rise just before it shuts off. I've had the mixture wheel all the way lean on the servo and it still does it.

I've bottle flow checked the nozzles, checked all the ignition including the plugs, checked for intake leaks and still can't figure it out. I did the centre body seal check that is described in the precision airmotive RSA troubleshooting guide and that seems fine.

Funny thing is before it would idle fine but the mixture was all over the place when making power, now it's the other way around.

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back