• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuel Servo issues RSA-5AD1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acromaniac

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am having an issue with starting my Pitts that has a Superior IO360A1A engine. It has a cold air intake, inverted systems, Christian Wobble pump, and the Title listed servo unit.
When cold, it has always started after a couple of blades (3 blade prop).

I am unable to get it to fire now. Spark has been verified. Lots of starter cranking has resulted in fuel out the exhaust. (4 in to 1)
Cleaned and replaced injectors with no effect. Confirmed fuel in all 4 lines from wobble pump.
Fuel was also observed coming out of the servo unit after unsuccessful attempts.
The engine appears flooded. It did try to fire with mixture lean / no wobble action, but no continuation when trying to advance mixture control.

It seems to me that the fuel servo is the obvious place to look. I looked at a troubleshooting guide on Precision Airmotive's website, but most of their tests require the engine to run.

In looking up the parts list number on the servo unit on the Precision Airmotive website, 2524673-8, it lists 2 applications; both of them are 540's??

I believe that a previous owner got this unit from Airflow Performance in 2005. The logbook entry says it was sent to "Precision Airflow Performance".
I am guessing that the advice here will be to contact them about an overhaul / replacement.
I just wanted to check with the braintrust here to see if there were any suggestions on things to try or options.

Thank You,

Jim

Latest posts

Back