• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

My First Flight in the Rain!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Lund

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was a beautiful but cold day here in San Diego and sort of between storms, with very clear and clean air and scattered clouds. It was late in the day and I could see clear skies out over the ocean moving inland, but dark clouds above me. As the sun got lower over the ocean, it turned a dramatic red-orange and the sky took on that beautiful silver blue color that I have only seen here in SoCal. As I marveled at the colors, suddenly I had rain on my windshields and dripping off the trailing edges pretty heavily.

Maybe a lot of you have experienced this, but it was a first for me in my open cockpit Duster. The amazing thing to me was that I did not get wet at all, and it was very enjoyable! The smell of the rain was awesome, and the air was as smooth as glass. This is something that one can only experience in an open cockpit.

I guess the other neat thing about flying here on a day like this is that there was almost no one else around. I had the sky to myself, except ironically for another open cockpit Skybolt that I came across on the common traffic frequency north of Ramona. It was Colleen out of Gillespie Field, that I have seen here on the Biplane Forum, but never met in person. It was nice to make a voice connection with another open cockpit airplane in such a cool and lonesome sky...

icon_biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back