• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

PAINT SCHEMES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the July issue of Sport Aviation . On the cover is Paul Muhle's red , white , yellow and black Pitts . I read the article and gave the pictures a good once over and another once over . As a painter from the age of 14 years to present , I cannot overlook the presentation of a final product and somehow not rate what I see in my own mind . I have walked around Pauls plane and taken pictures and at that time ( Oshkosh) , the color choices , the application , the neatness , flawless presentation were all stunning characteristics that most probably were conceived from hours , days , and months in Paul's mind as he was battling the build process . I personally feel that the final decision on that perfect paint scheme just might be the hardest part of the build/finish process . I'm not going to say that his scheme was simple , because there are no simple paint jobs . If I were to ask Beej (kind of a Forum member) , which scheme he would rather mask , The puzzle paint scheme on his Skybolt or Muhle's Pitts , I somehow know the answer that I'd get . The awesome part is both planes are stunning but totally different . The amazing thing is , that just about all of the folks here on the Forum , when finished with their projects have created a work of art that is a one off , no others like it , show worthy creation that they , themselves are even stunned when the hanger door slides open . Some , more detailed with swirls , stars , checker board patterns , some more doscile in creation but all outstanding , again in presentation . We all know that Kelvin (Forum member) and his AcroDuster scheme wasn't a overnight , two rolls of masking tape , stick and glitter , vualla , look what I think I just did thing . And TomCat's (Forum member) red , white and blue Ultimate Pitts . When Tom opened his hanger and let me take a peak , first thing hit me , it's beautiful . I think with all the time consumed in your build process weather it be two years , ten years or even longer , every day is spent on (what) am I going to do when I get to that point , for the final step . Can't wait for the next unveiling . Who's next ? ;) šŸ’

Latest posts

Back