• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Mysterious S-1C Fabric Wrinkle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
This is the second S-1C that I've seen with this fabric wrinkle (neither are mine). Both had the shorter span lower wings and relatively early build dates. I can only assume that the wrinkle developed over time, but how? I've been obsessing over this all week and I just can't wrap my head around it.

At first it looked to me like the I-strut attach point was compressing the doubler and distorting the fabric. Then I wondered if it was simply the I-strut interrupting the natural contour of the fabric (and the ensuing effects of time on the elasticity of the fabric). I also considered the proximity of the outboard aileron hinge and the load potentially imposed on the doubler. Or maybe some moisture got under the fabric and didn't agree with it?

I know it's somewhat of a peculiar issue to be curious about, but I'd love to understand the cause.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Latest posts

Back