• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Need Whelen Strobe Power Supply For Parts

n262ln

Reaction score
Model A413AHDA-CF. Doesn't have to work. Need the transformer that generates the 6kV trigger. Mine is arcing internally.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Let me check I may have one that doesn’t work..

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll check when I get home, it’s got a blown diode so if it’s the same issue it will not help...I have to find it! I don’t throw anything away!
View attachment 47992

I also have brand new in the box with a wiring harness included sequencing flashers though, I’ll take $150 for it, plus what ever shipping works out..
View attachment 47991

Last edited:

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
ok, not sure why all of a sudden the uploaded pics from the Biplane Forum app RESTRICTS viewing... Any ideas???
I guess they changed how you upload a pic.! I don't know how

IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_2510.PNG

The second is the old unit with the blown Diode....

n262ln

Reaction score
I'd like to give the blown diode box a try first. My supply has a transformer in the 6kV trigger circuitry that's arcing internally. Although your box is a different model I suspect that the trigger circuitry is very similar if not identical.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, send me your address. I’ll look for it Weds night...

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Cactus what model is the good box? The box in our Cherokee died and we borrowed a unit from one of the partners and I would like to replace it. If you don't sell this I may be interested if I can use it.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Box is sent, should be there tomorrow, just send back what you don’t use... I hope it works for you!

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll have a look at the new old stock unit. It’s sequential not simultaneous so it probably isn’t something you want for Wing Tips!!!

n262ln

Reaction score
JohnS (Cactusav8r)

Got the failed power supply you sent. The bad news - the transformer in your power supply (mfg circa 1985) is different than the arcing transformer in my power supply (circa 1999) so I can't use it. The good news; I can fix the one you sent using parts from my failed unit. Your unit has a blown diode, an exploded resistor, and a shorted switching transistor. When the diode blew it took out the resistor and transistor by putting 500 volts across them. Before I cannibalize my unit to fix yours I wanted to be sure you don't want it returned.

Harry

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
fix it and use it if you can, I would like whatever you would throw away, so if you fix it and use it there will be nothing to throw away! Which is fine!. Hope it works for you.

n262ln

Reaction score
JohnS,

Silly me. Repaired your unit only to find that because of the height dimension it won't fit in the airplane. Will be returning the repaired unit to you.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Heck can’t you put the guts of mine in yours..??

n262ln

Reaction score
Nope. Transformer in yours has higher profile. That's why yours is thicker than what I have. Hey, it was worth a try.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You think the new one I have will fit?

n262ln

Reaction score
Your new one is the same model as my failed unit. Yes it will fit. BTW I hooked up your old repaired unit to the plane and the strobes did indeed work. Mechanically it just won't fit. How much do you want for your other power supply?

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was asking $150 for the whole kit, check this thread... if your only interested in the power supply. Make me an offer for just it.

Latest posts