• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Needed: 1173 grip

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need one more 1173 grip. I'd prefer a 1173-1 but whatcha got?

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this one. I have one 1173-1 just need a second one. I'd settle for a 1173-2.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I made a offer on that one...owner sent a counter offer...I sent another. Then no response. I even finally sent a email saying I'd take it at there first offer! No response at all. I almost think its a scam add.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's the grip I have in my biplane. I bought it in 1970 from ACI (Aircraft Components Inc.), a mail-order war surplus catalog that was operating in the late '60's to early '70's. I paid $17.50. I should have bought every one they had. Dang!

Danny

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm no one have any? I wonder what happened to Banaire inventory??? They had some of these and others when they decided to close. No one else want a real WW2 grip? What are you guys using?

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bicycle grip.

cvairwerks

Reaction score
Banaire's inventory is going to be up for auction sometime this year. The EPA goons got involved and they are clearing the inventory for auction. No word on what they won't clear yet.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill...as much of a perfectionist as you are a simple bike grip????? Heck I figured you could find the perfect Pitts but it would be red X'd without the perfect grip. ;-) we all have out hang ups I guess. LOL. Me...I gotta have a authentic WW2 grip and throttle quadrant.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohhh and why is the EPA involved with Banaire?

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
Bicycle grip.
Same here. My Christen grip loosened up, so I took it off and "temporarily" put a bike grip on while I decided on a glue and mechanical fastener solution. That was about 4 years ago. I like the bike grip and it will probably just stay.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
RE: Banaire - From another internet location...

"In case anyone is interested, I am a contractor working with the US EPA to clean up the Banaire Enterprises property now that the property owner (Lt. Col. Medore) has passed away. It was necessary for the EPA to get involved because of some radioactive contamination from burned and/or damaged radium dials at the Banaire warehouse and at an additional Banaire location. The EPA is currently clearing many of the items that were at the Banaire warehouse, for re-sale. The items will be returned to Lt. Col. Medore's estate and will eventually be put up for auction."

Best of luck,

Wes

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have used military grips and throttle quadrants and they are a fine choice for the ex-military airplanes I was flying. To my eyes they look kinda' silly in civilian airplanes -- they're overly large and heavy and serve no better than a simple solution. I flew with bicycle grips for many hours and find them a comfortable, light weight and traditional (Pitts) way to outfit the airplane.

One other point -- Why add a chunk of inertia to the top of the stick? It can only reduce control feel in IMHO.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto the bike grip. The MX bicycle industry has provided all sorts of very workable solutions and they feel good too. Bicycle industry is mostly 7/8". Motorcycle industry is a mix of 7/8" and 1".

Here's mine.

0020.JPG

0022.JPG

Last edited:

andrewrichards

Reaction score
I bought a stack of these from Aviat a while back. They were only $8 each or something like that.

ForumRunner_20140102_122236.jpg

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Andy I took one of those off my Smith and replaced it with an Ray Allen G101 with a PTT. Simple change and I like the looks and the feel.

L

andrewrichards

Reaction score
Andy I took one of those off my Smith and replaced it with an Ray Allen G101 with a PTT. Simple change and I like the looks and the feel.

L
Hey Larry

I did the same in an S1 a while back, lasted 1 flight and I replaced it. Seemed a good idea at the time.

One of those preference things guess. I found the G101 too spongy and fat, the spongy stuff took away a lot of the control feel. Also dont like the PTT on the stick, just seems wrong for me.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wondered, I sat in the cockpit for 20 minutes awhile back just to see if I could sit that cramped up and held on to the stick with one hand or the other. I noticed the "fat" issue. Ah well that's what the E stands for in EAA. I still have the one I took off, purposely.

L

107ch

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wasgoing to try one like this, from a One Design:

image.jpg

Latest posts