Nomex flight suits

Discussion in 'Safety Forum' started by EAABipe40FF, Jun 22, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 22, 2017 #1

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

After setting my old M1A jacket on fire while welding no way I'm wearing nylon again. I'm considering Nomex for both me and Marcia. I've always thought flight suits were over the top but I wonder?

What are your thoughts, experiences and/or suggestions regarding comfort, hot weather etc.?

I guess I'm somewhat fatalistic about myself but less so with my gal, getting more conservative with age or something...

If I do go for it what's the best bang for the buck, surplus or new?

Thanks,

Jack

2. Jun 22, 2017 #2

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

Its a trade-off. 99% of us don't wear nomex. If you wear a nice nylon parachute that will melt onto you in a fire if you do not use it immediately, then 90% of the time nomex clothing is a waste. If you see fire, use the parachute before it starts melting.

Nomex might buy you time in a ground incident. I wear nomex racing gloves for that reason. Protecting my hands increases my ability to get the canopy open, belts undone, and even help my passenger. And they are bright red so that the line boys and wingmen can see my hand signals easier.

If you limit your welding work to in the hangar, the average recreational flyer should have fire very low on the list of concerns.

Best of luck,

Wes

smizo and Eagle28 like this.
  3. Jun 22, 2017 #3

jstreat

jstreat

jstreat

Nomex was never made for 100LL operations. Fuel will perpetrate and cook you from the inside out. I switched to Cat 1 Auto Racing suit years ago. Single layer type with elastic cuffs. They are not to expensive and are special order for your measurements.

JST

4. Jun 22, 2017 #4

jmorgan

jmorgan

jmorgan

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I thought about wearing some of my old engineering nomex suits while flying...and then I (probably stupidly) decided I didn't want to sweat that much in the Texas heat and went in shorts and a t shirt.

I'm sure it's a good idea. I think I'd spring for a helmet first, depending on the aircraft. I like the gloves idea though. Will probably get some of those at some point.

5. Jun 22, 2017 #5

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Flying with a molotov cocktail just above your kneecaps is all part of managed risk. We've had these nomex discussions on this forum before. What Wes wrote is exactly how it is. New fresh nomex underwear combined with a certified racing suit is what buys you escape time. Unless you're "all in" on doing that a nomex flight suit is more of a fashion statement. The nomex underwear is very similar to thermal under people wear in cold climates only thicker thread count. I've also written on this forum about escaping a fire wearing the nomex underwear and racing suit. No need to rehash that.

6. Jun 22, 2017 #6

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

shorts, t-shirt, chuckies, parachute and helmet.......

Patric_L likes this.
  7. Jun 22, 2017 #7

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

Dennis5678 likes this.
  8. Jun 22, 2017 #8

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

By the way Smizo, they come in yallar too!

smizo likes this.
  9. Jun 22, 2017 #9

TxSkyBolt

TxSkyBolt

TxSkyBolt

If you go used Nomex (like off ebay), remember with every wash the effectiveness of the fire protection diminishes.

10. Jun 22, 2017 #10

curtis

curtis

curtis

Curtis

I ware the Nomex flight suit more for the pockets to hold stuff , especially on long flights. There's also the cool factor😎

Skybolt205WD likes this.
  11. Jun 22, 2017 #11

jpr

jpr

jpr

Figured out how to edit this. Supporting Member

I dunno about the cool factor, but +1 for all the pockets. Keeps keys/wallet from becoming fuselage FOD.

Plus it bugs the cr*p out of my wife :D

12. Jun 22, 2017 #12

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

You're much better off not bringing keys, change, wallets, pens, cell phones, etc into the cockpit. Leave that stuff on the ground or put it in the baggage compartment.

13. Jun 22, 2017 #13

cashflyer

cashflyer

cashflyer

I used to wear nomex when I did crop dusting. I sweated a lot above those south georgia fields, and didn't like it much.

Now I figure that the blunt force trauma will kill me, so I don't worry about the fire potential. Heck, if a wooden and fabric airplane is on fire, you're kinda fooked anyway.

This is incorrect, according to DuPont - the makers of Nomex.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  14. Jun 22, 2017 #14

jpr

jpr

jpr

Figured out how to edit this. Supporting Member

Cell phone is in cockpit on 100% of flights. RAM mounted though, maybe that doesn't count.

The rest of that stuff... just really don't relish the idea of it bouncing around in baggage. Plus I've gotta stick my head aaaaaall the way back there to get it afterward.

Typically bring hangar key (singular), medical, cert, and credit card if I'm staying local. All in a zippered pocket. I think that's probably pretty safe to do.

15. Jun 22, 2017 #15

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

If you want pockets, take a look at the 5.11, Propper, and Elbeco brand pants. "EMS" style pants have extra pockets for "stuff".

Best of luck,

Wes

16. Jun 22, 2017 #16

marquartflyer

marquartflyer

marquartflyer

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I haven't found any Nomex suit that match my flip flops.

17. Jun 22, 2017 #17

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

Best addition I've made to my plane so far is a zipper pouch on the floor just in front of my seat.
    I took one of those canvas crew chief tool bags, cut the loop handles off and screwed it right to the floor board between the stick and the seat bottom.
    Cell phone, wallet, readers, spare sunglasses and a hat all fit inside secured with a big brass zipper.

FlyingFarmer likes this.
  18. Jun 22, 2017 #18

JimRice

JimRice

JimRice

My brother and I discussed fishing vests as possible solution after he had his cellphone fall from his shirt pocket during acro and wound up behind seat in belly.

19. Jun 22, 2017 #19

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

I've thought about fishing vests to carry stuff I'd want to have with me in emergency egress (PLB, emergency kit stuff, etc.). I figure that some substantial proportion of emergency exit scenarios will give me zero time to think about what to grab or to actually grab anything, and will further ensure the destruction of anything left in the plane, probably by fire.

It would also be a handy way to ensure cellphones and keys don't become FOD in the cockpit.

20. Jun 23, 2017 #20

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use to wear a nomex flight suit when flying in warbirds. Just part of the deal. Plus it's hot here in OK and the summer suits with just boxers is pretty cool compared to jeans etc. I have thought about seeing all the old guys growing up that wore these multi color coveralls...much like a flight suit. Seems it was "the" style back in the day. My Granddad loved them. Anyway, I see the same thing with guys and flight suits with there name or plane name on them etc. some actually are pretty cool. But most just makes me look forward to being old and wearing black socks with my Tevas and sporting giant sunglasses that look like you just came from the eye doc. 😎 I do see a real benefit if doing acro. But it's small. Just do what you like. Gloves are always a good idea. I like nice broke in deer skin gloves. (That way I don't leave finger prints on my polished aluminum prop ;-)

(Wow they still sell these! I'm making my order NOW! ;-)
    View attachment ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498176207.774558.jpg