• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil Pressure Drops When Rolling to Inverted and Again Rolling to Upright

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2e

Reaction score
I replaced all the hoses forward of the firewall. I purchased the hoses from A.E.R.O., Inc. Before I installed the hoses, I looked them over for bulges or any shaving of the inside of the hose. They all looked good.

I also did away with the “T” fitting and used the VAC-2 adapter from B&C that supplies inverted oil from the vacuum pad. I took the 3-way valve apart, cleaned it and replaced the balls with ones I purchased from Raven Aircraft. I used the old balls to stake the seat of the valve. (The problem existed before I changed to the new balls. New balls did not fix the problem.)

Then, I pulled the sump screen and the sump plug. To make sure it went back in deep enough, I measured how far the plug went in without the o-ring. Then, using new o-rings from Aviat, I installed the sump plug. I gently tapped the 10-32 rod with a small hammer to get it the plug to seat to nearly the same depth as it was without the o-rings. I could feel the o-ring seat. It wasn’t going to go any further in.

So now, I roll inverted and the oil pressure drops to 20 pounds or so and then recovers to around 70 pounds. I roll back to upright and the oil pressure drops to 20 pounds or so and then recovers to around 70 pounds. You can see the oil pressure gauge in a video here: [ame]http://youtu.be/yrpufsP4nF4[/ame]

I’m confused as to why the pressure drops and then recovers. If I had an air leak in a hose or in the sump, I wouldn’t expect it to recover. I’m also confused as to why it isn’t working at least as well as it did when I had the “T” fitting.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try next?

Latest posts

Back