• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S-1S / IO-360 idle setting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenbecker

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new-to-me homebuilt S-1S I'm almost ready to fly. The last issue is idle rpm and throttle feel.

In test runs I've noticed the throttle is a bit sticky near the idle setting. Almost like it's binding somewhere. There isn't smooth travel to a clear stop point in the throttle that results in a consistent idle rpm. If I pull throttle to where it starts to feel like it's binding or sticky, I get a variable rpm anywhere between 600 & 800. If I pull it all the way back to the stop it starts loping between 300 & 700 and the engine will die if I leave it there 15-20 seconds (like on base and final), regardless of mixture setting.

I know the previous owner had the idle dropped to 600 (manual recommends 650) so the airplane will slow down better. I'm waiting on some more info from her about her experience with it.

I've checked the cable travel and the stops on the fuel servo. To get to the low-rpm stop, I have to pull the throttle past where it starts to feel like it's binding. I cleaned the plugs yesterday and the run-up is nice and smooth with very little mag drop, so that's not a factor.

1) Where do others have their idle set?
2) Do you have easy throttle travel to the idle stop?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back