• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Weird starter problem??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it possible for the starter to fail in such a way where it stays engaged, even when you stop cranking? Or it continues to crank, even after you stop pressing on the starter button? I had an experience about a month ago, where I started the engine and after it started, it made this very strange continuous noise. The noise was not coming from the engine. The only thing I can think of is that the starter gears stayed engaged with the flywheel gears (it didn't retract as it was supposed to after the engine starts). That's my guess at least. It continued like this for about 15 seconds or so and stopped on it's own. While it was doing this, my voltage dropped to about 11.x volts and my battery warning light went on. When the noise stopped, the voltage went back up to normal (about 13.0 volts). A few days ago, a similar thing happened - the plane started up just fine, but after starting, the voltage dropped to about 11.2-11.5 volts. However, it did not make the weird noise it did last time. Or if it did, it was not obvious. After about 10-15 seconds, the voltage went back up on it's own. Does this sound like a starter problem? Or maybe the starter relay for some reason is continuing to send current to the starter, even though I am no longer pushing the starter button?? I have a Skytec starter. Earth X battery (only about 60 hours old). No alternator. I just charge the battery after every 3rd or 4th flight.

Latest posts

Back