• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts S1SR for sale

Reaction score
What exactly is an S1S "R" Never knew Curtis had that in his line up ?

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
I saw that Pitts at OSH a few years ago, and I actually spoke to the previous owner in the Spring. From what I understand the "SR" is representative of the stretched fuselage. He told me that it's about 133" long, which he said was about 8" longer than a stock S-1S. Could be ideal if you wanted to hang an angle valve c/s setup on the front. Looked great at OSH.

Hova

Reaction score
Its a great looking and flying plane. I have about 10 hours in it personally. Flies very hands off, blinding roll rate for a Pitts, just a good flying plane. I'd snatch it up but I havent gotten my O-360 back from overhaul and sold yet. If you haven't sold the plane by the time I do get my engine sold I'll be giving you a call!

jstreat

Reaction score
Ed Potter built it as very stretched S1C with a O-290. There were three built at that time. Only two remain. Ed owned my Fairchild 24R for years. He was a biplane guy, mostly Stearmans. A 0-320 was installed in the 80's D. Clark. The O-290 is in Texas on a single seat monoplane. When I installed the 4 3/4 span ailerons, I put a S1? on the tail for fun. It was a mixture of many plans. When it was modified with the spring gear and Wolf style wings, the owner dubbed it SR. It is a great flying bird. The stretch fuselage and reclined seat at 32 degrees makes it nice on Cross Country Pitts compared to straight backs. It presents well in the box.

JST

HeloPitts

Registered Users
Reaction score
Thanks for putting the info out there I appreciate it!!!

The asking price is 38000,
But I’m negotiable

Latest posts