• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Powder Coating questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I have been wanting to powder coat my fuse for some time now. I'm getting close to that point soon. I have had my engine mount and gear legs powder coated by a local company but it was rather expensive ($300) and I wasn't thrilled with the finish. I have been calling around to companies in the Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Baltimore. I have talked with one company and they wanted to use play sand from lowes to sand blast my fuse (argh!) and I asked about the TCI coating I wanted and I had to explain the product to them, Almost hung up the phone mid conversation.

I then called a industrial powder coating company in baltimore sent them some photos and details and he wouldnt give me a quote because he was nervous about media blasting the thin walled tubing and thin rib material. He was, however, fairly knowledgeable about the TCI coating I wanted and I asked him about Phosphate wash they said they wouldn't normally do that.

It seems that the second I tell them that they would need to be careful
blasting my 0.025 parts they freak and back away from the project. My question back to the group is a phosphate wash required if you media blast?

Edited by: acropilotbret

Latest posts

Back