• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Power loss at full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying High

Reaction score

I'm looking for some tips where I might be missing something here.
I have a Pitts S1S with a CSU and angle valve IO-360 10:1 pistons with bendix RSA5.
As I increase throttle the power comes on normally until about the last 1/4 of throttle travel then power reduces. If I then lean the mixture out the power increases to what I would expect is normal at full throttle.
So far I have;
- Had the servo flowed and checked at a certified workshop- Replaced the spark plugs- Installed new fuel injector nozzles- Checked compressions- Checked the prop governor at a certified workshop
None of these things make it run any better.
What I have noticed is;
- The timing is set at 25 degrees before TDC (too advanced??)- I have not yet "flow checked" the injector system via the coke bottle method.
Could the advanced timing cause this problem?Could it be a restriction in the injector lines?
Unfortunately I don't have a CHT or EGT gauge, that is coming soon.
Any other ideas what it could be?
Confused and running out of ideas.

Latest posts

Back