• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Raven 2XS For Sale

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this on Barnstormers today. Owner, who is on this forum, contacted me and it looks like a broken shoulder has put him out of flying for a while, so it's available!
Some nice pics on Barnstormers for who want to see it close up.

RARE RAVEN 2XS MUSCLE BIPLANE• $189,000 •FOR SALE•This is the "ORINGINAL" Raven 2XS Two Place. Lycon Engine with10.5-1 pistons, BPA Cold Air Induction with 6 to 1 exhaust. Hartzell Claw Prop (counterweighted) no accumulator necessary. Engine & Airframe has 65.8 hrs. TT. Since New - Yes, Since New. (Prop has 300 hrs. TT.) Beautiful, powerful with the same wings as the Bulldog. Ratchett your belts, grit your teeth and hang on! •VISIT MY WEBSITE• ContactMichael S. Wiskus-WEST METRO AVIATION, LLC., Owner - located Buffalo, MN USA • Telephone: .612-812-3873 . 763-682-1516 . • Posted August 17, 2010•Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser•Recommend This Ad to a Friend•Email Advertiser•Save to Watchlist•Report This Ad•View Larger Pictures

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder why he advertizes "Visit My Website" when there's nothing about this plane on it...

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I also tried. The website is not the owner. I guess it is being sold-on-behalf of.

MNForrest

Reaction score
Mike Wiskus just finished a pile of work on the airplane. I'm guessing the owner has now commissioned him to sell it for him. Mike and his crew do great work. I've had a close look at it twice when I was out to Mike's place fro Pitt's training. Very nice bird indeed. Not sure about the "Extra" price tag however.
ff

raven2xs

Registered Users
Reaction score
The price is well worth it. It has the same Lycon engine as Sean Tucker with a very nice Hartzell Claw prop. The verticals are breathtaking! The aircraft is debugged and ready to go. Mike is handling the sale as I wrecked my shoulder in a motocross race and can’t fly or ride for a while. Don't take my word though, go see mike and fly it you’ll see.

raven2xs

Registered Users
Reaction score
I will contact mike on Monday and get the guys at West Metro to post the engine description from Lycon that is in the log book. When I sent the engine to Lycon for the crank AD, I chatted with Chris Davis about the engine. He was quite coy about discussing the details, as he said there is a lot of proprietary mods done to it. The engine has A LOT more than just 10:1 pistons. I've built a number of racing engines and I know the cam is not stock. They claim 410HP @ 2900 RPM. It's governed to 2700 RPM right now, so I'm guessing 370 at 2700 RPM? Anyway, it is a joy to fly. I will have Mike bring it back down to Conroe before it gets too cold up there. I'm hoping to be fully recovered by December or January so I can fly it more before it sells.

andrewrichards

Reaction score
I dont think the price is all that unreasonable at all. Consider what the Model 12's have been advertised before, they are powered by the M14 so I would say factor more on top for the Lycon. Low time Hartzel Claw like that will set you back over $20k I am not sure what they have been actually selling for. An engine like that is not cheap and its a Lycoming, only has 65hrs TT on the airframe and engine. VM1000 EMS etc etc.
I would buy that over an Extra in an instant, its a Biplane and a muscle biplane at that. An Extra, Sukhoi or Giles has no "soul". Yep, they may roll a little quicker, more top end speed but there is just something missing.
I may be a little biased given I am building a 2XS, the kits are awesome and well built. There was an issue with the landing gear area which has been resolved.

I am almost considering sellling all my aircraft and buying this one but then I will lose the joy of building and my wife wont let me.
I have never flown a 2XS but a fair bit of time in an S2C - how awesome would an S2C with an extra 110hp and quicker roll rate be?
My 2 cents anyway

kjkimball

Been there...Done that...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Andrew,
Sent you a pm.
As for the price, not unreasonable given that it would take about that to reproduce the airplane in a paid shop. Still, needs to be compared to the used S2B market which is the closest factory aircraft in design.
I wonder how Mike compares this one to his Super Stinker in performance.
Edited by: kjkimball

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Or you could scratch build.... :)

Edited by: macwolf

andrewrichards

Reaction score
Hi Kevin
Got your PM thanks for that. I just spent 20 hours travelling which gave me a lot of thinking time, I will post up a couple of generic responses for a bit of fun.
Keep an eye out for "International Biplane Faceoff"

Andrew

Latest posts