• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Relocating S1 Shoulder Harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosspowerinc

Reaction score
Im getting close to being able to start working on my project and something I havent sorted is the shoulder harness. I am not comfortable with the stock design that will compress your spine in a crash and would like to move the belts higher similar to the S2C and S1T. I havent been able to find detailed pictures of either setup so if anyone has them feel free to post.

The main issues are what structure to build and how to route the belts. The supporting bar needs to be inside the baggage compartment and that makes the baggage floor and turtledeck installation tricky. I thought about making the stand removable with some sort of pin but it has the potential to be heavy.

Another tricky area will be the belt exit through the baggage door. The belts will have to be a height that doesnt load the baggage door which will vary from person to person. I will probably simply get in the seat with the belts on and the baggage door removed to mark the exit location.

Ive seen some installations that use the baggage door as a stressed member and Im not comfortable with that since the door failing would make funny looking marks on your face.

This is half to write down some thoughts for future reference and half to see what others are thinking and doing. If I can get some good S1T pictures I'll probably just copy it but any advice is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back