• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

RV6 Gear Buffeting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Aussie

Reaction score
G`Day from down under.
Im new to posting on this forum. I have been looking for the last few years. Great forum lots of info and you all sound very friendly.
Anyway I have RV6 gear legs on my S1S which I have recently finished building. I got my legs second hand, Ordered the steel for the sockets and welded it all together in my engine mount. It took some engineering but the outcome was great. The RV6 gear gives a wider track puts the aeroplane about 3 to 4 inches higher than stock, makes for great 3 point landings, havent hit the tail wheel first once. Wheelers are great too. While on the subject of gear legs I am getting a buffet over the elevator at about 3-4 positive G. Im guessing its coming from the undercarriage. I made a fairing (see picture ) this helped to about positive 5G. I know the spring gear creates this problem. Has anyone else experienced this with the RV type gear and what have you done to prevent this buffeting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1773.jpg

Latest posts

Back