• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S1C Refresh - Panel, Gauges, Belts, Rudder, Wiring, Fuel Gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittscondor

Reaction score
First I would like to say thanks to everyone who provided info on topics I needed help with. Great bunch of guys on here with a tremendous depth of knowledge.

I bought my S1C off the classifieds on Biplane Forum. The previous owner owned the plane 9 years but never was able to fly it. He decided to sell the plane and found out it had corrosion on the cam so he pulled the engine and had it overhauled. It had 2 hours of ground running when I bought it, but there was no one qualified to fly it and check it out in the area. I flew up and took a look at the plane and struck a deal with the owner, then returned home to wait the money to clear. Now it was all about the weather and when could I get to Ohio to pick it up. Finally the day arrived and we had a 2 day window that looked favorable. I friend of mine flew me up in a Bonanza and stay the night so he could follow me back. After a thorough check out on the ground, I flew it for 1 hour over the airport to see if everything was as it should be. Everything checked out fine so I topped it off and flew it from Ohio to Tennessee with one fuel stop on the way. On the trip home the tachometer died and airspeed indicator was like none I had ever seen before. It works more like an altimeter, as you go past 100 a smaller hand points to a 1 for hundreds. Since everything firewall forward had been redone I decided it was time to update the panel. I made a new panel, replaced all the steam gauges and the G-meter with new equipment, made room for a full size Ipad, changed my fuel gauge to the tube style, added a avionics master switch and an USB power outlet and rewired the entire panel. Also added an oil filter to replace the screen filter. Here are some pics of the progress along the way. I also replaced the harness with an Allen Silver harness. The rudder had some damage so I sent it out for a recover while I was working on everything else. Looks like need to take some pics of the oil filter adapter and the USB power supply. Hope you like it.

Panel 1.jpg

Panel 3.jpg

Panel Mock Up 2.JPG

New Panel 1.jpg

New Panel 3.jpg

New Panel 4.jpg

Alan Silvers Belts 2.jpg

photo 4 (2).jpg

Site Gauge.JPG

Ohio Pick Up 4.jpg

Ohio Pick Up 8.jpg

photo 3 (2).jpg