• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

SA750 phase 1 update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life would have been "easier", or at least I'd be feeling better about it without that darn GPS.....

I decided to start a new thread rather than continue the 3 pages of AD2 N22JM flies thread because in a way I find I'm starting over. (Of coarse no use cussing the GPS, better to know and fix an error now than to be head scratching when 5 min. late to check points later)

I was really excited after my first couple flights back in mid Dec. 2015. I had worried about how only 160 HP was going to work in the AD2 and was very excited reporting cruise speed of 140 mph @ 2500 rpm with a climb rate of over 1500 fpm. I spoke too soon! While the ROC was real remember it was only 40 F. The speed it seems was NOT real.

As I got started getting good numbers for Vx/Vy, stall and cruise, I stuck my $100 GPS to the inside of the windshield to double check. It's been hard with bumpy winds but it soon became obvious that I had a 12-15 mph ASI error(reading high) which I haven't been able to resolve. Been playing with the static end but it may be a bad gage? I opened the static to cabin and got the same result today confirmed by GPS. I had planed on a high speed pass to check if altimeter was also reading underground but forgot. I'll have to try trading the ASI from the other airplane(which is dead on compared to same GPS and timed flights, at least up to 100 mph)

Bottom line,

Cruise speed at 2400 rpm looks to be about 120 IAS

Vy - 105 (1100 fpm standard day)

Vx - calculated to be 92 IAS

It was 85 F today and ROC was down to 950 fpm.

Anyway, not so happy but the numbers are actually about what I expected. When I cure the ASI issue I think I'll start over.

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back