• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skinning Wood Wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melndav

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some expertise. I’m about to close out the first Hiperbipe rebuilt wing and am wondering about varnishing the inside of the bottom skin before it’s glued on. Options are to mask off the glue areas and varnish everything else to allow for a wood to wood glue joint or varnish the whole thing and glue to the varnished coating all the way around.
Option one means that there will be some small areas directly adjacent to the ribs/spars that don’t get coated simply because you can’t mask off all of those spots perfectly. Option two guarantees good protection but I’m not sure about the quality of the adhesion.
I’m using T88 and a 2 part epoxy varnish. System 3’s website indirectly indicates that it’s ok to rough sand the varnish and glue away. I’m going to make up a couple of test samples tonight, but I know lots of folks here have been down this road so I thought I’d get some expert opinions.

Latest posts

Back