• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Skybolt and Culps Sp. Plans

chutain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am a new member of the forum. Nice Site!
I'm looking for a set of plans for a Skybolt (R), and a set of Culp's Special plans.

I just purchased a project in Tennesee.

Any help?

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I see you're in Conroe...interestingly enough I looked at a project last year right at your airport. Did you perchance have an opportunity to take a look at it?

Best regards,

Brad

PS Welcome

chutain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it the PJ 260? I have kicked myself nearly constantly for passing on the project. I have always had my sights on the Culps/Skybolt R, and now that I see the owner of the PJ is putting a 985 on it, and reworking some of the lines. Should turn out to be a beautiful, and powerful airplane. Live and learn.......

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No, it was a skybolt with IO540. Just recently sold.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
985 on a PJ260 ? hmmm... ?

chutain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, but I've seen the 3-views, and it looks like it's going to work out.....

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Craig
I wanted to hang a 985 on my Radial Bolt... and unless I dropped an anchor in the tail,the W&B just wasn't going to work for me.

By the way... if you're hanging on the fence between the Culp plans and the Radial Bolt plans, go with the Culp... there are a few of those flying and no Radial Bolts flying at the moment. The gear they have on the Radial Bolt isn't the conventional gear seen on the Standard Bolt (of which I changed mine to). Not sure of the spars on the Culp, but to get the higher weight limit on the Radial Bolt you'll need to go with Douglas Fir. It took about 8 months to get mine once I ordered it from a place up in Canada (I'm not complaining about the wait, I was actually happy that they took the time and effort to wait for wood that they were happy with before cutting my spars.) They're the only place I've found that have the aircraft quality Doug Fir without having to go hand pick it myself.

And you might as well buy the plans new... the $300.00 or so you'll be spending on them is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the project.Edited by: Jerry

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Steve Culp was helpful to me with my project and i didn't even buy anything form him. Good Guy and beautiful bipes.

Latest posts