• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Small dope repairs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
Original covering and dope on a 1981 S2A in great shape overall, but there are a few cracks in the dope along the stringers, and aft part of the first rib on the bottom wing on each side. The other areas are poor attempts to restore the finish on the fuse where seat-belts and headset jacks over the years hit the fabric and cause the dope to chip off. What is the best way to go about fixing these few spots?

Looking from the inside out you can see the paint design and the different colors did the factory apply the silver back when this was built?

And is it possible to rejuvenate the finish without repainting the whole aircraft? Do you need to apply dope over the rejuvenator? Will the rejuvenator cause the paint lines between two colors to bleed, and if not and dope is required after applying the rejuvenator is clear dope allowed to be used in place of the colored dope?

Thanks for the help, I have worked with the other systems before, but this will be a first for messing with Dope. I plan to recover the plane in 2-3 years so I'm not trying to make it look new and get another 10 years out of it just protect the fabric where the dope is cracked and make it presentable until I recover the plane.

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back