• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Small engine monitors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with any of the 2 1/4" engine monitors? I've been looking at the Insight G2 and the MGL Vega EMS-1 in particular. Thinking about my Champ with its C-90, but I'd also be looking for the Charger in the future, so it's at least tangentially biplane related. ;)

The G2 (http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg2.htm) costs about $2000, and comes with a premade 8' harness. I haven't found a specific reference, but I think this includes all the sensors needed to make it go. The biggest question I have for my use is whether it includes a gravity-feed compatible fuel flow transducer. It includes sensors for all four cylinders for CHT and EGT, as well as a bunch of other stuff. If the fuel flow transducer needs to be bought separately, it's $515 for the gravity-feed version. The G2 includes an SD card slot right in the front, so downloading engine history is as easy as pulling the card and reading it in your computer.

The EMS-1 (http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html) costs much less, but comes with nothing: $400 for the display, then under $50 each for the various sensors (eg, $35 for one CHT probe, $45 for one EGT probe). It will show four thermocouples by itself, or you can add a $350 box that will read up to 12 probes. I'd want 8 (four CHT, four EGT), so it's already up to $1070 before considering oil temperature or pressure. The EMS-1 has the advantage that it has clocks and timers and is generally more versatile. The big downside is it doesn't include fuel flow or totalization.

Because I'm looking at a certified airplane, I have to consider the installation cost as part of it. Most things I've read suggest that the installation will cost more than the instrument package. Some have suggested 8 hours, some 20 hours. At $90 an hour for my local shop, that's between $720 and $1800 for installation.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has looked into these things, and if you have either direct experience, or more knowledge about the appropriateness of either one to a small plane like the Champ or the C-90 engine.

Latest posts

Back