• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Splitting Accessory Case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
So the old engine is setting on the bench. All the outside stuff is off except the cylinders. It appears that the former owners have glued the accessory case on with hard setting Permatex. I'm fixing to go over there tomorrow with my bearing puller/pusher and attempt to yank it off using the mag studs.

Does this sound like engine-o-cide to you people? I think jamming a couple screwdrivers between the parts is probably a really really a bad idea.

I think I can put a piece of hardwood inside the mag hole and GENTLY push against the back of the case whilst the puller is pulling on the studs. That's my thinking anyway.

I've looked up LYC case splitter on the internet and I think I've got that one figured out.

I bought a full set of cylinder base wrenches from ATS and they won't go on there so I've had to spend some time this afternoon thinning them down a bit, but there's one nut, down there behind the oil relief valve housing that might present challenges.

Now, one more thing, I know that there is a bolt between the case halves that's up inside the accessory housing. I'll make sure that one is out of there before I split the case but is/are there any hidden bolts someplace up inside at the rear of the case where the accessory case meets the sump that might be holding the accy. case on?

Any and all help or abuse is welcome.

Latest posts

Back