• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

spruce sources

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
I came across some new suggestions for aircraft quality spruce. This is off a thread at the Stearman site...i dont have personal experience with these companies...but looks worth having a look at.

http://www.selecttimbers.ca/st_spwood_aircraft.php

and also

CFM Specialty Mill,
(Richard Walton, Head Sawyer & Specialties Grader)
P. O. Box 161,
Chemainus,
British Columbia, V0R 1K0
Canada
Tel: +1 250 951 3188
Fax: +1 250 951 3138
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
(Company includes former R.A.W. Resources. Supplies aircraft quality wood (sitka spruce, etc.) Products are graded to US Mil-S-6073 as well as UK CAA standards. Wood is tested to ANC-18, ANC-19 and various pre war regulations issued by NACA and military authorities. Exports aircraft graded wood to many countries. Long delivery times but untarnished quality record

Dan

Western Aircraft Supplies... up in BC too.

Western Aircraft Supplies Ltd.
P.O. Box 79
Slocan, BC
V0G 2C0
Phone: (250) 355-0003
GPS: North: 49.762° West: 117.465°<!--
< id="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
code="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#versi&#111;n=6,0,0,0"
WIDTH="152" HEIGHT="102" id="locati&#111;n" ALIGN="">
< NAME=movie VALUE="/s/locati&#111;n.swf"> < NAME=quality VALUE=high> < NAME= VALUE=#FFFFFF> < ="/s/locati&#111;n.swf" quality=high =#FFFFFF WIDTH="305" HEIGHT="204" NAME="locati&#111;n" ALIGN=""
="applicati&#111;n/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashp"></>
</>
-->

Talked to the owner, Marc... he knows his stuff. Real nice guy too.
It's owned by him and his wife. Bought it off a guy that started it up in 1968 and wanted to retire.

It'swhere I'll be getting my doug fir spars.

They don't ship out an order until they're happy with the cut. He told me he once cut eight spars before he was happy with sending out a set to this one builder.

He supplies most of the guys building Falco's with their wood. Falco = VERY nice, all wood sports plane.

How does this look?

IMG_20231228_124856076.jpg

IMG_20231228_125043801.jpg

Latest posts

Back