• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starting my very own S1 project!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cludwig

Reaction score

Hello Everyone!
I am very proud to announce I've officially joined the group in a proper way. I just ordered a rib kit for a Pitts S1. My plan is to test the waters with the ribs. If that goes well, I'll get adventurous and try building a set of wings. On the off chance that that is successful, I'll start on the fuselage.
I am thinking of a simple aircraft, as light as I can build it with an electrical system while still incorporating modern innovations such as RV-3 style gear, sleeker cowling, and possibly more tail volume. I'd start with a stockparallelvalve IO-360 and fixed pitch prop. Oh, and no canopy! I like to have my head out in the wind.
I live in Florida and really wanted to buy the wing kit from a supplier that is within driving distance (for the possibility of technical assistance, even if I have to pay for it). That narrowed the search down to Steen and Wolf Aircraft. I went and visited both. Both produce a good product. In the end, I decided to build a Wolfpitts S1 wing. I also intend to go to Steve fortransitiontraining when the time comes. He says he hasn't failed to teach anyone to fly a Pitts yet. Surely I'm not the worst pilot he's seen, so I should be fine...
I should start sniffing glue and bonding sticks of wood to tools, the floor, the dog, and occasionally to each other in about 2 or 3 weeks. I can't wait.
Feel free to PM me or reply to this thread with advice as I'll need it. I already know, I can buy an S1S for far less that I can build one. But then what am I supposed to build in my garage? I of course considered the Model 12 as well, but I was looking for a smaller aircraft with less thirsty horses out front.
-Chris.

Edited by: cludwig

Latest posts

Back