• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tailwheel shimmy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capfl424

Reaction score
Hi All

Experiencing a SCARY tw shimmy. It happens when I bring the stick back on rollout at 50 mph or less. Yes, one solution is to not bring the stick back, but it gives me better control.

After much reading, it seems that the tail spring might be weak. It looks good when empty and only flattens a little with me in it. I have no way to see how much it flattens when I increase down force with elevator. I imagine just enough to cause shimmy.

The main gear geometry is correct and she is not particularly tail heavy (not sure of the lbs but I can lift the tail by myself without popping a vain).

Pictures attached. I know the springs look loose. It was the mechanic's attempt to fix the shimmy. They were tight and still shimmied. ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1472781265.686677.jpgSee anything obviously wrong? Recommendations for replacing the spring? Should I duplicate the current setup or improve? Wheel is Scott 3200.

Thank you!
PaulImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1472781175.676507.jpg

Latest posts

Back