• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tailwheel to Tailwheel Spring Mounting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently had the hard rubber tire depart the wheel upon landing on my Lang tailwheelequipped Acro Sport II. This resulted in a lost tire, and a damaged wheel. I still don't know why it happened, unless the tire was defective. Rather than replace the 2 piece wheel for $128 each half, plus a new tire, Ichose to buy a new Matcotailwheel for $150. It looks to be a nice piece, especially for the price. A new Lang is almost $1000 now.

Anyway, my tailwheel spring has 2 full leaves, and1 half leaf. I re-arched my spring to correct the caster angle on the new Matco tailwheel. While I was doing this, it occured to me that if the tailwheel mounting hole (goes through both full leaves)was an on size (3/8") hole, the scissor action of the leaves during up and down flex would try to shear the tailwheel mounting bolt. So, I was wondering if the mounting hole in one of the leaves should be slotted to allow the springs to slide back and forth on each other as they flex up and down. Or, am I making this more complicated than it really is?Edited by: Cameron

Latest posts

Back