• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

The ol' 3 point vs. wheel landing discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
I know there's threads on here with this topic, because I've read them some time ago. I did a quick search to find one, and it didn't reveal anything, so I took a shortcut and started a new one!

I like 3 point landings. In 6 years of flying the S-2B, I had yet to have a reason to wheel it. Even in strong crosswinds, it's such a bulldog with complete control authority that it handles them with ease. I've read lots of opinions on the subject, and of course, there seems to be a majority consensus, but certainly no wrong or right answer. It's whatever you prefer. Simple. Of course, there's some 2 point logic behind dealing with crosswinds or being able to see over the nose better. Some airplanes may lend themselves one way or another, I suppose. Years ago I was talking to a P-51 pilot who said he always 3 pointed it. I asked why most guys seem to wheel land them - his answer: "I don't know, the tail has to come down sometime". That stuck with me. (By the way, if you ever sit in 3 pt attitude in a 51 and an S-2, you can see a heck of a lot more over the nose of the 51!).

Anyhow, this past weekend the active runway at my destination, a regional airport with long runways, was a runway in which my hangar is down at the departure end (landing 01, hangar at north end). So, I figure, why not do a wheel landing to save a long taxi.

I'm convinced the hot rod bipe airshow guys wheel land simply because it's visually more exciting to the crowd on the line to see the high speed approach.

I think 3 point is likely better for the longevity of main tires and wheel bearings, but 2 point is likely easier on the tail wheel (debatable of course).

I'm sure I will still 3 point 99% of the time, but it's always good to have options.....

Here's video of the landing:

https://youtu.be/eWkvLsLTL4Q

Jason

Latest posts

Back