• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Toot Wing Ribs in Michigan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee-Toot

Reaction score
Hi All

Well its been one week since I was in Texas learning how to build a wing rib, and today I started to build my first rib but ran into a bump...this was probably expected...thank goodness this is a minor bump.

The bump I speak of is wood cracking when trying to bend around the forming jig.... beginners mistake...when you start breaking parts the $$$
start adding up so its in your best interest to make a phone call and get the answer from the master builder.

I will be soaking my cap strips over night, put them in the bending jig in the morning; let it dry; and then its build time. We did this process a bit faster in Texas, but it should work the same way tomorrow.

Below is a picture of my work area in Michigan. Its not as cool as Tommy's
Toot factory but it will do for rib building.

20090124_210345_workbench_small.jpg

More posts to come.

Matt
Yankee-Toot

Latest posts

Back