• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Torque Tube idler arm and control stick alignment for Pitts S1S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well Biplane Forum members I request your input.

Is there a recommended procedure for installing the torque tube assembly idler arm, the control stick, and the push rod that connects them?

The torque tube/control stick set 0 degrees vertical and the ailerons idler arm and the bellcranks must be set at 90 degrees to the rear spar with the aileron in line with the wing. The push rod lengths are then adjusted to get the zero and 90 degree alignments. The throws of the ailerons are set by the adjusting bolts limit the aileron movements.

The question is does then procedure I have stated above for the ailerons apply for the elevators also.

Should I start first aligning the elevator with the horizontal stabilizer as my controlling station.

Next do I start by aligning the control stick, the torque tube idler arm, the idler assembly between the torque tube and the elevator all at 0 degrees vertical and then connect/adjust the push rods while holding 0 degrees through out the entire elevator assembly.

I hope to get all this done for 2 Pitts this week.

Please feel free to comment and thanks for your input.

Gary Sky Walker

Latest posts

Back