• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted: Christen Eagle ll Spades

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Looking for a set of Eagle II Spades...Good Condition, Good Price...

gmann750

Reaction score
Give Benny Davis a call I think he still has a set or two.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Raven Aircraft should be able to sell you some also.

If you wind up needing to fabricate your own, I have 3D CAD (Sketchup) drawings that I would share. The parts are pretty simple.

Best of luck,

Wes

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in those CAD models if you don't care to share them Wes.

dxlyj

Reaction score
Below are examples. Reverse engineered from the Aviat parts. PM me an e-mail address and I can send what I have.

Wes
The balance plates are triangular on 603TG. Arms look similar to what Wes posted.
--
Dave

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Good idea on Benny and Raven. I left a message for him today and will try Raven on Monday...
Wes, I think your CAD's are spot on to the spades on my recently sold
Eagle II..I'm seriously thinking about building a set...

Ed

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
"balance plates are triangular"

The Pitts balance plates must have been what engineers call "a quick and dirty" solution. Low aspect ratio with high drag, low efficiency.

John Morrissey suggested to me that the Russians and French had access to wind tunnels to try out their spade designs and so did not choose simple rectangles.

Best of luck,

Wes

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Dave,
Can you post a picture of your spades when you have a chance...I have a feeling they are
very similar to Extra spades...
Ed

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
If you change the shape of the Pitts spades, you will have to use much heavier material. That angle on both sides is needed for stiffness !
Also, the area can be reduced if you have frieze type ailerons.

dxlyj

Reaction score
Dave,
Can you post a picture of your spades when you have a chance...I have a feeling they are
Ed
Will do. I'll be out there tomorrow and grab some rough dimensions too. I wasn't terribly fond of the feel when I first flew with them (I was transitioning from a Luscombe, which has leisurely ailerons), but they've started to grow on me.
--
Dave

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Dave,

Have you flown without them? I found the stock Eagle ailerons a little 'loose' in their feel -- the overall forces were more similar to an S-1S than an S-2A but they lacked the nice dense feel around neutral an S-1S has. I can't imagine putting spades on Eagle ailerons and ending up with something useful but I'm known for my love of spades (not).

dxlyj

Reaction score
No Bill I haven't flown it without them yet. They're easy to remove but well, let's just say it's amazing how many things can conspire to interfere with flying ;-(
--
Dave

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Triangular spades - another application for carbon fiber and core. But please note that for a constant thickness applied to the airfoil shape from center to tip the Reynolds number and L/D curve changes along that axis. This complicates the calculation of lift, drag, and the resulting flight loads.

Steve Grohsmeyer made flat sheet higher aspect ratio spades for his Eigenhawk and ran into the flexing issue mentioned above. If you start down this road, some loads calculations backed up by sand bag testing is advised.

Rob Holland had an experimental spade disintigrate in flight. He described it to me as a very "interesting" experience. Best avoided. Caution advised doing development of this part of the flight control system...

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

dxlyj

Reaction score
Dave,
Ed
Here ya go. Sorry picture isn't better. Dimensions are 10" along the aft end, 8.25" on forward legs. I can mic thickness although I'm guessing in the .090" area.
--
Dave

LeftSpade.jpg

Latest posts