• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WANTED S1T rudder

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted T rudder for S1

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are you willing to build it? I don't have drawings but I have a pretty close shape and size based on what info I have been able to collect over the years.

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last resort would be to build but if I can’t find a T rudder and aviats price is too high then I’ll most likely just get a S rudder from Steen.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Watch out for the rudder horn geometry if you buy one from Steen. I don't know if they followed the S-1S plans or copied the S-2 horn. The horn drawing in the S-1S plans is not correct. There's a thread about this here.

This is my best shot at the S-1T rudder;

upload_2019-9-3_9-15-36.png

Last edited:

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P
Reaction score
T rudder has the inverted yoke at the bottom.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As does the S rudder. For my purposes I won't need the yoke on there, the goal was more about getting the right size and shape of the rudder.

How does it look to your eye Peter?

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,

Is that a T rudder or an S rudder? Seems to match an S rudder pretty close and the chord shown is the same as the S rudder.

Last edited:

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, We made ours with T rudder chord but the curves were made to match our S fin. Your T fuselage drawing you sent us looks better.
See layout;

Attachments

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I see what you did now. That fuselage drawing was very preliminary but the rudder measures pretty close to what an actual factory T rudder measures. I guess Gene/Curtis had that nailed down early on.

Latest posts