• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

wanted Softie seatpack parachute

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I need a Softie seatpack asap. Will buy new if I don't find one by Tuesday.
Thanks!

wally

Reaction score
The one on ebay looks like a back pack with aerobatic harness.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Yep. That's a mini backpack with conventional harness. I ordered a brand new softie wedge seatpack today.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Damn I wasn't thinking I just happen to have a seat pack that, I believe you know. It is going to SNF with me for inspection and repack. L

fishead

Registered Users
Reaction score
Larry
Are looking to get rid of your seat pack?
Mark

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I have used Softie seatpacks and like them. I went with the wedge for the front of the Eagle. It lets your butt sit lower in the back for canopy clearance. I put my buddy in with a regular seatpack and is head was almost touching the canopy with a headset. The wedge should get a touch more clearance and let you recline a tad.

humptybump

Reaction score
thebignickey said:
Let me know how you like this chute I am thinking of getting one to go in the back seat of my S-2A.
I have one in my S1 and I love it. I'd recommend the aerobatic harness to get the snaps out from under the belts. I have the extended back which zips on and off and keeps the chute from riding up since you are sitting on it. It's only maybe 1/2" thick. The wedge is a good compromise which keeps you low for headroom without moving your shoulders towards the panel as much as a backpack. I'm 6'-3" and 210 and it fits me well.

Spoon

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I have one in my S1 and I love it. I'd recommend the aerobatic harness to get the snaps out from under the belts. I have the extended back which zips on and off and keeps the chute from riding up since you are sitting on it. It's only maybe 1/2" thick. The wedge is a good compromise which keeps you low for headroom without moving your shoulders towards the panel as much as a backpack. I'm 6'-3" and 210 and it fits me well.

Spoon
You must have the wedge backpack with the zip on extension?
I ordered the wedge seatpack. It is a standard style seatpack chute where the fromt is about 3 inches and the rear is about 1 1/2 so it kinda pushes your legs up and your butt down. (this is for the front seat)
I was having problems in the back getting the stick back with a regular softie mini (maybe my belly is to big) My legs were to short for the rudders with a seatpack back there. I went with a new 16" softie mini backpack. It is 1 inch wider and sperads the chute out more making it thinner. The chute is super thin and solved my problems. Seems half as thick as the standard mini. I will post a picture of it in a few minutes.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Here is the 16" mini for the back seat. The first way it was packed with the bulk up top killed my back. I sent it back and got it repacked with the bulk in the bottom (like a wedge) and it is perfect now. This is the thinnest chute you can get.

softie 16.jpg

gnielse

Reaction score
Please post a pic of the seatpack wedge when you get it. I'm using a standard seatpack and when I'm inverted I move up just enough to push my headset into the canopy. Another inch of clearance would help a lot.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I will post a picture when it come in. Still looking at a couple more weeks.

MNForrest

Reaction score
I love my softie wedge. One thing- make sure your rigger dissects it carefully when you get it re-packed. The awesomeness is in the packing, as well as the design.

Forrest

Latest posts