• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

welding question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
Below are pictures of the cabane attachment for the Delta 3-pc wing. The brackets shown are 1/8" 4130 with a bend at the line to point toward the opposite end of the cabane tubes. In the second picture you can see a 1/16" plate that welds to the back side very much like the flying wire attachments at the forward landing gear attachment. The actual plate is not bent at a sharp bend as shown but with a proper radius shown on the CAD drawings.
With prior research I discovered that you are supposed to heat bend both plates in the landing gear mount. I found a description in Series 1 vol 1 of the Skybolt Newsletters and the construction photos on the Steen site back this up.
My question is do I have the same situation here? Should the larger plate be cut, shaped and attached, heat bent to the side tubes, welded completely all around the edges like a finger gusset, then the second plate the same treatment?
I figure the Acrodusters and Stardusters probably have a similar attachment so someone on here should know for sure.

cheers,
Jim

20080428_183054_cabane_brackets.JPG

20080428_183007_scan0002.jpg

Latest posts

Back