• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wheel Pants--Speed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a somewhat surprising experience about an hour ago. I flew the Spezio for the first time in many years w/o the wheel pants. I took them off to glass behind a couple attach holes that were getting rough. I had flown it a week ago in the same configuration except for the pants. Initially I thought something was wrong because the trim was off. The airplane has a J3 jack screw but does not have an endless cable so it only has about 1/2 the travel, not enough. I installed a fixed trim tab on the elevator and have enough experience to bend it slightly depending on fuel load in order to be in the right range with the jack screw. (I really need to install an endless cable but it will be a huge job requiring cutting fabric not to mention a custom made cable)-----oh well.

Anyway I found I didn't have enough nose down trim which frankly puzzled me. Not until I leveled off for cruise did I figure out what was going on. I was simply going FASTER. Faster by at least 10 mph. Cruising 115 IAS up from more like 105 at 2400 rpm. (The 105 IAS was up from more like 95 after installing the two place canopy) Indeed when I throttled back about 150-200 rpm to 100- 105 IAS the trim was about where it was on my previous flight

The wheel pants are not small. They came with the project, I think Airknocker style. I'm certainly not unhappy but I like pants and will probably try a better design, BTW, 6.00 X 6.

GEDC4095 (800x600).jpg

Latest posts

Back