• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

When to work with metal and wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis5678

Registered Users
Reaction score
Most of us think you do welding in the summer and woodwork in the winter.
Well just thing the opposite may be true. I suggest welding in the winter. Why
well at the tempatures you are working with have little effect on the overall tempatures of the ambient air. You can feel any cold air better in the winter than the summer. I would not do metal bending in the winter useless you have a heated hanger. If you are using the Oxy-Asy system you get the added benefit of staying warm.
For the wood work, the humid summer months you plywood will expand and when winter hits the plywood will shrink. Causing all sort of problems.
I had this experience building my Volksplane (don't laugh, it was my first homebuilt that flew on Oct 4th 1978. When I applied the 1/6 plywood to the wings to help the wing from twisting when ailerons were applied.
Well and way when summer came the plywood expanded leaving an inward buckle of the plywood. Guess I could have recovered the area with new 1/16 inch plywood but I didn't. I just cut out the fabric where the indention was and pieced in a fabric patch. On the Volksplane it did not make a difference being that there is now true airfoil shape in the entire wing. Being a dragy aeroplane and slow it had no effect on it's flying abilities.
But on the hotter airplanes it would.
So what do you guys and gals think?

Latest posts

Back