• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Wierd VOR behavior, any ideas??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddie

Reaction score
I decided to practice for an IPC since I now have a plane with gyros and I'm sick of cancelling cross-countries due to mild IFR conditions.

I installed a VAL Avionics INS-429 VOR/GS/MB receiver/display. It's a really nicely built unit that replaced the old Narco NAV-12 that crapped out the day after I bought the plane.

Anyway, I tuned the JVL VOR to follow V-177 and the CDI is slowly oscillating +/-5 degrees even when Foreflight shows me flying straight and centered on the airway!!!

I made sure I was above the MEA and I was only 15 miles from the VOR.

I tuned in the nearby RFD and PLL VORs and the CDI was nice and stable.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? I used to fly IFR a lot back in the last century and never saw anything like this.

I read in an old FAA Instrument Flying Handbook that this could be caused by the engine turning at 2400 or 1800 rpm. Sounded goofy to me, but I tried different engine rpms and no change in behavior.

I wouldn't be surprised if the VOR transmitter is bad. Hardly anyone uses VORs for cross-country navigation anymore, and the VOR is only used as a primary navaid for a VOR-A into a nearby airport that also has a GPS overlay.

Take Care,

Ed

Latest posts

Back