• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wire and Fuel Line Tie Material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 220.45% completed
Reaction score
Got this from another forum.

The Question was "Piper used a tie material on the old planes to secure electric wires and fuel lines. This material appears to be about 3/32" x 1/8" oval shape. Is there a source for this or something like it. I need to secure the wires in the engine compartment and don't care for cushion clamps (two each, bolted together ) every 4 inches. The only thing I have is the stits tie cord and baler twine which is plastic, but it doesn't knot well. Is anyone familiar with anything in the craft shops.

Twoof the answers to the question are below. Are there any other good ideas out there for securing these things?

<DIV align=left>The stuff you are after is KORO SEAL LACING CORD - 100 FT roll we get
if from AVIALL for around $40.00 per 100 ft roll. We use it
extensively on the Bell 47G's that we operate, and the Hiller UH12E's
that we operate. It is old school, but the best stuff around. You
can cut a piece, prestretch it before wrapping it around what you want
to secure, then you can tighten the wraps by frapping it, (remember
lashing techniques from Boy Scouts?), then finish with a square knot.

It makes a nice neat job. We hand tie all of our wiring and cabling
on these old Helicopters it is the best way to do it, and does not
damage the tubing or wiring.

Plastic ty-wraps are convenient, but in a high vibration environment,
can eat through steel, aluminum etc. etc. I have seen it first hand.
Our general rule is that a quick fix usually causes more work down
the road, it is just better to do it right the first time. There is a
company out here in the NW Columbia Airmotive, 503 665 4896 they also
have the lacing cord along with tons of new and surplus hardware items
at real good prices, the cord is made by Brown Aircraft Supply, sold
under the P/N T1223.
<DIV align=left>
<DIV align=left>****************************************************
<DIV align=left>
<DIV align=left>Ithink you are looking for lacing tape/cord. It is commonly used to tie wire bundles together. You can find it in the spruce catalog by the electrical terminals. I can't say that I have seen it used firewall forward. I have seen guys use a cable tie and a short piece of rubber fuel line to accomplish what you describe. You just loop the tie around the first item, then down through the tube and around the second item, then back through the tube and secure the tie. The short piece of tubing becomes a spacer between the 2 items.

Latest posts

Back