• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB. Biplane

Vetteman

Reaction score
Looking for a single or two hole biplane, not a Pitts. Acro sport, starduster, skybolt. Something flying, not a project. Thanks.

TFF1

Reaction score
If you want a flying cheap biplane, a friend has a Starduster 1. It does what it does well; it will not get you a date.

Vetteman

Reaction score
I think the Pitts might be too much for me to handle, and at 6ft and 230 I probably won't fit.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
You've really narrowed the field and eliminated some good airplanes.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You need to 1) sit in a Pitts and 2) fly one before dismissing it. I'm around 6'5" and was about 210 when I flew an S-1 in competition. It wasn't comfortable but it would have been if I was 5" shorter.

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the Pitts might be too much for me to handle, and at 6ft and 230 I probably won't fit.
You should fit. I can't imagine another single seat bipe with a cockpit significantly larger than a non-short fuse S-1. I know some fellas bigger than you who fly these things. I'm 6'-4", 210 lbs.

Regarding being too much to handle, I think you've fallen victim to BS Pitts lore. If you're referring to ground handling, be aware that a Pitts S-1 can be made stupid easy and nearly pilot-proof with spring or rod gear and a locking tailwheel. It is an entirely different airplane with bungee gear and a leaf spring steerable tailwheel. There are multiple combinations of gear/tailwheel setup. In any case, if you'd truly be unable to learn to safely handle a Pitts, you should probably avoid the other airplanes you mention as well. I doubt this will be the case.

As far as handling in the air, a Pitts flies exactly like a J-3 Cub...but with more speed, climb, and roll rate. Stalls/spins just like a Cub. There is not a more honest and predictable airplane out there.

The Pitts is not the end-all, and buy what floats your boat, just don't dismiss it based on BS hangar tales told by those who never learned to fly one.

wildhorsesracin

Racecar Driving Instructor
Reaction score
You should consider a Hatz, does all what you want and lots of room in the cockpit.

beamanhf

Reaction score
I have a Super Acro Sport 1 that I am finishing a ground up restoration. It has a certified Lycoming 0-320A2B with fresh top end. I am retiring and getting out of Aviation after 47 years. The aircraft was built for a Doctor and the airframe has about 300 hours flying time. I can send you pictures but I am still working on cowling and engine installation.

SaltyPittsDriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
The guy I bought my first S-2B from was a big swede. We'll over 6' and 230. A friend of mine has a Model 12 for sale. Roomy ride. PM for info.

Rich

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt guilty with the super pilot/Pitts thing after owning one as a relative low time pilot and mine had the bungee/leaf tail spring. It demanded attention but as grassroots says it was 100% honest. And also easy to sell a good one.

beamanhf

Reaction score
Vetteman,
I see how to down load some pictures. This is when I was rigging the wings.
Frank

plane1.jpg

plane2.jpg

plane3.jpg

Dustin

Registered Users
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Acrosport II with 330hrs on it.
Full canopy. IO 360/MT prop.
Full inverted systems
Very nice panel.
No damage history.
First flight 2002.
Parachute and helmet.
Flys weekly. Just completed annual.
Super meticulous maintenance/logs/records.
Just waxed it tonight to kill some time at the airport.

Dustin

Registered Users
Reaction score
Another. I have many more.
Please let me know if you would like me to send them.

IMG_1170.jpg

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P
Reaction score
Dustin was that you at Gatineau on Sunday?

Peter

Dustin

Registered Users
Reaction score
Sure was! Had lunch with my Ultralight buddies.
Sounded like you were having fun!

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P
Reaction score
Beautiful plane.

Yeah I have a low level waiver and permission to use the runway when its not busy. Hehe!

Latest posts